Monday, September 16, 2013

Literature Analysis #1

1) The main character, Emma Corrigan, ruins her promotional opporunuty at a meeting and on the way back to England from Scotland, Emma has anxiety on the plane. The man sitting next to her on the plan hears all her secrets during her anxiety attack. Once off the plane, her current boufriend asks if she wants to live together. The next week at work Emma realizes the man on the plane was her corporations co-founder. She couldn't stop thinking about him and as a reader I thought it was obvious the boss, Jack, was interested in her. Emma breaks up with her boyfriend and she goes out with Jack. She claims to be in love with Jack but her roommate queations what she knows about his personal life. Emma believes that faite had brought her and Jack together. The rising action of the story begins when she sees him at work and realizes who he is.

2) How much infromation is too much information? What secrets should be kept to yourself and what secrets can be shared?

3) Most of the book the authors tone is rushed, paranoid, and trying to relax.
"Why is the plane bumping? Oh, God. An avalanche of fear hits me with no warning. This is madness... MADNESS!" p.20
"Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh... OH.. NO. NO .NO. We're falling. Oh, God, we're falling." p.21

4) Foreshadowing- Emma states some of her secrets on the first page that come back later. "Inside my head, my own voice from the plane is babbling away inncoently ... 'just skimmed the back and pretended like I read it'" p. 91
Foreshadowing- Man from the plane ends up being a huge part of Emma's life. I catch a glimpse of dark eyes, stubble, a deep frown stiched on his forehead." p. 16  "OK, keep calm, maybe he won't remember me. It was just one short flight," p. 69
Speaker- Emma is the narrator of the story, refferring to herself as 'I'. "My mind is blank. I can't think of anything. All I can think is that Jack is sitting four feet away" p.298
Language- There is cursing to emphasize anger and that the setting is in England, same with the voabulary. "And they never chivvy you-" p. 203  "Fuck. My head lerks up.." p. 21
Setting- "It's a bit out of the way, in South London." p. 203
Mood- Tension/ anger " What does he think? That I'll just meekly say 'Thank you?' and get in? That just because he's got a fancy car he can behave how he likes?" p.182
Alliteration- "We're going to die. We're going to die" p.23
Imagery- "I did have the odd imaginary scenario in my head, ranging from dreadful (he doesn't turn up; it turns out he's a Nazi) to fantastic (we end up making love on a speedboat on the Thames and he asks me to marry him.)" p. 185
Satire- "'You can't play a bus fare with American Express' I say 'Don't you know anything?'" p. 184
Echoing- "She leans forward confidentially, 'and I mean, the top guy' 'The top guy?' echoes Jack."

5 comments:

  1. I think you did a fantastic job on this analysis! The book sounds very interesting and I just might read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your analysis, good job! I think you did really good on number one and how you explained it was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job on your analysis. This book sounds really interesting! Can I borrow it? (: haha. Other than a few grammatical errors, you answered each question really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good job. Your analysis really showed that you knew the book. I really want to read it next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Sarah, I liked the use of examples, your analysis was very good.

    ReplyDelete