Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tale of a Canterbury Tale

The Wife of Bath's Tale-
This section is talking about how men look for specific things in women and are so picky and want a perfect girl. Then women want men to do all these tasks that women believe show a man loves her. Women question what a man really thinks because he tells the truth when he is drunk and men think women are controlling. The last few lines surprised me and I think she said she's a prostitute.

Indirect Characteization: "I would no longer in the bed abide 
If I but felt his arm across my side, 
Till he had paid his ransom unto me; 
Then would I let him do his nicety. 
And therefore to all men this tale I tell,"
It was not specifically said that she is a prostitute but from the text that is wha I interpreted. 

Purpose: The purpose for Chaucer including this in the tale is to get the perspective on this character and how she feels about people. 

I believe Chaucer was trying to unveil to everyone what people think they want (in a relationship) but don't publicly share it because it is not proper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment